Modern refrigerators save energy by running longer, but at a slower speed. Most of the energy used in a refrigerator is from starting the compressor.
These are factors that contribute to a refrigerator running too frequently or too long:
- The compressor will run longer after the initial installation or after a long power outage.
- The refrigerator will run more if the room has high humidity or high temperature.
- Doors may have been opened frequently or for an extended period of time.
- Warm food may have been placed in the fresh food or freezer compartment.
- Check the gasket for a proper seal. Make sure it is not damaged.