In order to maintain a set temperature, it is normal for radiant elements (smooth glass surface) to cycle on and off (glow red and then go dark) during operation whether there is a pot on the unit or not. This is because there is a glass surface between the pot and the element and the heat is not absorbed directly from the burner.
- The burner cycles 100% power for short periods of time on all settings, including Low.
- When the radiant unit is turned on HIGH, the unit will cycle on about 75% of the time and off 25% of the time.
- On MEDIUM, the unit will cycle about 50% on and 50% off.
- On LOW setting, the unit will cycle about 25% on and 75% off.
- Radiant emit a slight "hum" while in operation. This is normal.
- The burner will cycle on and off more than usual when using pans that are not flat or are the incorrect size for the burner.
You can check out Owner's Manual for your model to see recommendations about types of cookware and pan sizes.